Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Covid on Campus

 Last week my friend from my hometown came to the University of Kentucky for a self guided tour. Regular tours are limited to 10 or less people and she wasn't able to get into a group so her only option was self guided. She had no idea where she was going, so she asked me to show her and her dad around. We started at the Willy T. Library, I showed her all the signs on tables saying, "only 2 people per table", "masks must be worn at all times" and ones on the public computers saying they er unavailable right now due to covid. We then went to the 90 where I showed her the same type of things and how the workers were serving the food instead of self serve, and the Plexiglas glass in between the students and the employees. Walking around campus I showed her the gym, the rec field, the Kroger Field, dorms and healthcare facilities. All of these locations had some sort of information on covid regulations and limitations. She was really surprised at how restricted things are on campus and saw how hard it was to be a college student away from home. We then went to north side of campus where I shower her more class room buildings, dorms, the student center and more. Again covid signs were everywhere, even outside. Wearing masks the whole time, I showed her around for about an hour and a half. Covid has changed the way so many things operate and peoples day to day lives. That's just the beginning though, once you have applied, been accepted, completed admission, moved in, and started classes, things continue to feel restricted. Started college away from home has been really difficult for me and had a lot of limitations which I didn't realize until explaining it to someone who doesn't go here. Welcome to UK during a pandemic. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving ... Covid Edition

 This year, Thanksgiving was VERY different in my household. We have a pretty big family so usually we are all over the place visiting as ma...