Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Covid and Public Schools

 On September 28, two of my little brothers went back to school (in person) two days a week. I was in town, so I took the middle schooler to school so I could see how they were handling the situation. First, before he got out of the car his mask had to be put on, then when he stepped out his temperature was taken  and hand sanitizer was put on. Later that day he came back and told me how school was going and it seemed so complicated. He said when they first got in some students went to the gym and others to the cafeteria in order to space everyone out, remember this is only half of the students as well. They had to sit on marked spots six feet away from each person. Then when they dismissed to each class, each hall was dismissed at different times so that there weren't too many students in the hall at once and there were only about 6-10 people in each class, in others there were less. During lunch, again half of the students were put in the cafeteria and half in the gym where they all had assigned seating. They were never close enough to another person to touch them or hear them in a crowded area. 

The second grader couldn't really tell me much about the changes in school other than wearing a mask all day was hard for him and having to go to the bathroom in pairs rather than a whole class at one time. He gets on the bus with a mask on, takes it off for lunch, and then returns home with a mask on. He did say that there are disposable masks in the office and in some classrooms in case a student forgot one or had an issue with theirs. School is very different he said. 

It's really weird seeing kids go to school like this, many don't like it and wish they chose to stay all online. I have heard some high schoolers say they only missed the social aspect of going to school but even that has basically been stripped away so going to school is the same as doing it at home. My senior year did not end the way I wanted it to, and I wish it could have ended differently but I am grateful I didn't`t have to do what my high school is doing now for school. Having class all online is not ideal, and ruined my freshman year in many ways but this is becoming the new normal and I feel as if most people are getting used to this way of life. 

  This is a picture of my brother Logan getting dropped off at school, mask and all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving ... Covid Edition

 This year, Thanksgiving was VERY different in my household. We have a pretty big family so usually we are all over the place visiting as ma...